Australia

Victoria and NZ announce travel restrictions with NSW as Sydney cluster grows to 21

Sydney’s coronavirus outbreaks have increased by 10 to 21 and are restricting travel from Victoria and New Zealand.

Victoria has banned non-Victorian residents who have been to seven of Sydney’s municipalities identified as hotspots from 1 am on June 23.

Victorian residents can apply for a Red Zone permit to enter the state, but must be quarantined at home for 14 days.

Meanwhile, New Zealand has announced a suspension of its unquarantine trip to New South Wales starting Tuesday at 9:59 pm (11:59 GMT).

The suspension will initially take place for 72 hours while a new source of infection is being investigated.

“This decision follows today’s public health assessment, which determined that New Zealand’s overall risk to public health remains low, but there are still some unknowns,” said NZ COVID-19 Response Minister Chris. The announcement from Hipkins said.

On Tuesday night’s decision, NSW Health added two flights to its close contact list, with Qantas plane passengers from Sydney to Wellington on June 18 and New Zealand from Wellington to Sydney on June 21. This was done to encourage the air flight to be tested and quarantined. 14 days.

The official New South Wales case count on Tuesday was five, including two announced on Monday. After the 8 pm cutoff, seven more cases were detected and will be included in Wednesday’s figures.

Premier of New South Wales, Gladys Beregicrian, announced on Tuesday that it would extend mask restrictions. All people in Greater Sydney, Wollongong and Shellharbour had to wear face masks indoors for an additional 7 days.

The three new cases included in the Tuesday number include a woman in her 60s in Illawarra, a woman in her 40s in the northern suburbs of Sydney, and a woman in her 20s in the eastern suburbs. “While working at Westfield Bondi Junction.

Chief Health Officer Kelly Chant said the first two cases were close contacts with existing cases, while the third was a concern.

In response, health officials are urging everyone at Westfield Bondi Junction, including the parking lot, to come forward for testing at any time from June 12th to 18th.

Of the seven cases detected overnight, six are household contacts in previously identified cases and are quarantined.

The seventh case is a child attending St. Charles Catholic Elementary School in Waverly, where the source of infection is currently unknown.

Parents are asked to wait for advice from schools and health authorities so that students can return home safely.

“Unfortunately, many people infected with the virus were infected in a very fleeting way,” said Beregikrian.

“Very fleeting exchanges or very fleeting coexistence actually allow the virus to move, emphasizing how contagious it is.”

There are currently no plans to introduce a blockade, said Beregikrian, as all but one case is associated with a known infection.

“If that changes, there are suddenly many unrelated cases, and if they suddenly concentrate outside the geographic area, we clearly adjust and respond to health advice,” she said. It was.

The number of tests exceeded 28,000 in 24 hours from 25,000 the day before to 8:00 pm on Monday.

More places added to List of coronavirus exposure sites Tuesday afternoon. The site includes Sydney CBD, Bondi Junction and mascot locations.

Meanwhile, the Northern Territory has declared COVID-19 hotspots in the municipal areas of Waverly and Urara. This means that anyone arriving at NT after visiting these areas will need to be quarantined at an Alice Springs or Howard Springs facility.

Health officials are urging anyone with mild cold-like symptoms to come forward for testing and quarantine until results are returned. Residents of the eastern suburbs of Sydney and Wollongong are called upon to be “especially vigilant.”



Place of originVictoria and NZ announce travel restrictions with NSW as Sydney cluster grows to 21

Back to top button