Facebook has agreed to restore the Australian news page following a new contract with the federal government.
Treasury Secretary Josh Frydenberg and Facebook boss Mark Zuckerberg signed an agreement Tuesday morning, according to industry sources.
Facebook suddenly blocked Australian publishers and users from sharing or viewing Australian and international news content last week.
Widely criticized around the world, the block corresponded to Australia’s mandatory bargaining code. This code was intended to reward tech giants for news publishers.
Facebook said it was restoring news content after the government agreed to fix the code.
“This amendment will strengthen the hands of local and small publishers in getting the right rewards for using content on digital platforms,” the government said in a statement.
“The government has been advised by Facebook that it plans to restore the Australian news page in the next few days.”
Users who navigated to the news page during the ban found a typical gray bar with custom cover photos and a “no posts yet” message instead of news content or shared articles.
Will Easton, managing director of Facebook’s Australia and New Zealand, said the company is pleased to reach an agreement with the government.
“”We have consistently supported frameworks that facilitate innovation and collaboration between online platforms and publishers, “he said in a statement.
“As a result of further discussion, the Australian Government has agreed to a number of changes and warranties that address key concerns about allowing commerce to recognize the value that the platform provides to publishers compared to the value it receives from publishers. I’m happy with it. “
I will come more.
Facebook agrees to reverse news ban on Australian sites after striking deal with federal government Source link Facebook agrees to reverse news ban on Australian sites after striking deal with federal government