Fierce fighting for Yemen’s strategic city of Malibu has killed 70 pro-government and Houthi rebel fighters in the last 24 hours, resulting in fierce fighting on three fronts, Royalist military officials said. Said on Sunday.
The Houthi has been trying to occupy Malibu, the capital of an oil-rich region since February and the last important territory of the northern government.
Two pro-government officials told AFP that rebels had coordinated to launch a push, killing 26 Loyalist soldiers and 44 Houthi soldiers. Rebels rarely reveal their losses.
New tolls have killed 53 people on both sides in the last 24 hours, according to Loyalist military officials.
One official said Sunday that rebels had “launched simultaneous attacks” in the areas of Kassala and Almashja northwest of the city and Jabalmurad in the south.
“They made progress on the front lines of Kasara and Almashja, but were blocked on the front lines of Jabalmurad,” he told AFP.
Other officials launched air strikes on military aircraft from the Saudi-led military coalition that participated in the Yemeni conflict in 2015 to “destroy 12 Houthi military vehicles, including four tanks and cannons.” He said he did.
However, Saudi firepower does not appear to have stopped the rebels’ attacks.
In late 2014, the Iran-backed Houthis, along with much of northern Yemen, crossed the capital, Sana’a, 120 km (75 miles) west of Malibu.
The loss of Malibu will be a devastating blow to the Yemeni government and its supporters of Saudi Arabia, now based in the southern city of Aden.
A huge number of civilians expelled from combat elsewhere are seeking evacuation from Malibu, which could lead to humanitarian disasters.
According to the Yemeni government, about 140 sites have emerged in the area, providing basic shelter for up to 2 million displaced persons.
Rebels have intensified missile and drone attacks on neighboring Saudi Arabia in recent months, demanding the opening of Yemen’s airspace and ports. They rejected Saudi’s proposal for a ceasefire.
Last month, the United Nations condemned escalation and warned of an impending humanitarian disaster.
The UN Security Council said the fight “endangers one million internally displaced persons and threatens efforts to ensure a political solution as the international community becomes more and more united to end the conflict.” Stated.
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken warned that suffering would only end if a political solution was found between the Houthi and the internationally recognized government.
The conflict in Yemen has killed tens of thousands and put millions at risk of famine. This is what the United Nations describes as the worst humanitarian crisis in the world.
70 Dead As Battle For Yemen’s Marib Rages On Three Fronts Source link 70 Dead As Battle For Yemen’s Marib Rages On Three Fronts